Give thanks to the Lord, FOR he is good; FOR his steadfast love endures forever!
That little word, “for,” is the reason I can have a thankful heart. I can be sick, or out of work, or lost, or without love. I can be in debt or up to my eyeballs in trouble. But always, always, always there is a “big-T” Truth in the background that won’t go away. I can give thanks anytime, “for” (because) God is good. And “for” (because) he loves me always.
Write it on a Post-It note and stick it where you can see it:
God is good. ALL THE TIME! I’ve got it over my desk where it can remind me.
Helpful words from the Word
Here are a few verses I find helpful when I’m down or angry or bitter or hurt. I memorized them so they’re handy when I need them:
- “In everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
- “I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
- “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
- “Though the fig tree do not blossom, nor [not being a farmer, I insert something here that applies to me], … yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. GOD, the Lord, is my strength.” (Habakkuk 3:17-19)
- “He who brings thanksgiving as his sacrifice honors me.” (Psalm 50:23)
- And the one I started with: “Give thanks to the Lord, FOR he is good; FOR his steadfast love endures forever!” (This verse is all over the Psalms. Look it up in Psalm 106, 107, and 118. It’s the first verse each time – but read the whole psalm for the full effect.)
What’s your go-to verse, when you want to be thankful?
I’d love to know: What verse or truth helps you give thanks? Write it down and stick it on your bathroom mirror. Then every day this week, when you get up, read it and make a point of giving thanks to God. Repeat it throughout the day, particularly in situations that cause you trouble.
Before you know it, you’ll find your heart is filled with gratitude.
God is good—all the time! All the time—God is good.
© 2018 Sarah Christmyer.
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, who abides in the shadow of the Almighty,
2 will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust.”
14 Because he cleaves to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.
Carol Younger says
Yes, even at 3am, the sleepless hour, His Love whispers: “I AM here, as always.” And we respond: Thanks be to God; You, Lord, are so good to me!”
Arlita M Winston says
“I will bless the Lord at ALL times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth. . .Oh MAGNIFY the Lord with me, and let us exalt His Name together!” Psalm 34:1-4.
That word “Magnify” makes me stop on a dime when I think my situation has gotten too heavy to carry. I’m obviously magnifying the problem larger than my God!